Sunday 19 February 2017

Tokidoki 'Donutella' Chiffon Cake (Reduced egg yolk vanilla recipe)



I finally got to make Donutella from Tokidoki for my friend! 

The creation is made entirely from chiffon cake, including the donuts! This chiffon cake is naturally colored, so this is a reduced egg yolk recipe for whiter cake, and using a new natural yellow coloring find from Bake king for the yellow. My review for this new natural coloring is that the yellow colour is pretty strong and I’m happy with it. 


The recipe is also a cross between chiffon and ogura for more moist and finer crumbs. And I’ll share it for your reference, if you want a whiter and more ogura-like, fine chiffon cake. I also used steam baking to control the oven temperature and for moister finer cake.

Vanilla chiffon cake 2-tone with reduced egg yolk (8-inch/9-inch chiffon pan)
1 egg
2 egg yolks
40g castor sugar
78g vegetable/corn oil
85g water
120g Prima cake flour
10g vanilla extract
Natural yellow coloring

8 egg whites
90g sugar
½ tsp cream of tartar

1. Preheat oven to 160°C. 
*Prepare a tray of water under the lowest rack - I usually use steam baking to control oven temperature and for more moist cake, but it can be optional.

2. Whisk egg yolk and whole egg with sugar until light, fluffy and well-mixed.

3. Add in oil and mix well. Then add water and vanilla extract and whisk till well-combined.

4 Whisk in sifted cake flour and mix till well-combined.

5. Divide the batter into two. To one portion, add few drops of the natural yellow coloring (above). Leave the other plain.

6. Prepare meringue:

a. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites with cream of tartar till frothy.

b. Add in ½ castor sugar for meringue and whisk at high speed till soft peaks form.

c. Add in rest of the castor sugar for meringue and whisk till firm peaks form.

7. Divide the meringue into two. Gently fold in meringue gently into each egg yolk batter 1/3 at a time. *Fold in unidirectional, gentle strokes and do not overfold.

8. Spoon yellow batter into the base. Make waves by depositing mounds. Fill with plain batter till 2-cm from brim. Gently tap on counter top to remove air bubbles. You may find picture tutorial of waves in my first chiffon book ‘Creative baking: Chiffon Cakes’.

9. Bake at 160°C for 15 min, 150°C for 10 min, then 140°C for 30+ min, or until skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean.

10. Invert pan to cool on a wire rack completely.

11. Unmould the chiffon cake by hand (see video tutorial ‘Hand unmoulding Chiffon cakes for a clean finishing’).

The Toki doki was fun to make! Yes donuts! I used my Neopolitan chiffon donut recipe from ‘Deco Chiffon Cakes’ (my second chiffon book) for the ears. 

The face and body were from joining two bowl cakes from baking chiffon cake in glass bowls. I prepiped the pink hair on using chiffon batter. Something to note is that what you piped will be inverted when the cake is flipped over. I conveniently forgot about that and had a good laugh when my first face was inverted =p. The arm and feet are from mini swissrolls. I glued everything on using melted marshmallows, using toothpicks for the ears.

Thankful cake was well-received! This is one of my favorite creations as I love cute things! Have a blessed week ahead!

With lots of love,
Susanne


Creative baking: Chiffon Cakes (1st chiffon book)




1 comment:

  1. wow...so nice..May I know steam bake mean I put the tray of water under my baking tray together and bake? and 1egg yolk 8egg whites...how do I keep the rest of the extra egg yolk?
    thanks

    chin

    ReplyDelete